[CAUT] Fire Extinguisher Damage

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jun 7 09:34:32 MDT 2010

I concur,

I think at least the bass strings should be replaced.  They can lose their
tone with very little input from outside "stuffs".

Good luck!
Paul

From:
"James Schmitt" <pianotenor at comcast.net>
To:
<caut at ptg.org>
Date:
06/07/2010 10:23 AM
Re: [CAUT] Fire Extinguisher Damage

One of the things I have learned in regard to base strings is that it does
not take much smoke, dirt, powder, smog, etc. to kill the tone in a
string.  I also have learned that there are always acceptations to the
rule.  If this damage is being covered by Insurance let them make the call
as to timing on string
replacement.  For all we know there MAY !!!!  not be a problem but
again...  If you can give your self some time here you might be able to
save the school some money that could be used to service pianos better.
James Schmitt
Marylhurst University