[CAUT] Fire Extinguisher Damage

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 04:05:01 MDT 2010

Hi John,

It depends on what was in the extinguisher. Most will corrode strings over a period of time. The damage generally will not show up now but will in the future. I would have the university check with the insurance company and see if they will allow time to see what will happen. Many insurance companies will allow even as long as a year to see if any hidden damage show up, The minimum would be to change the bass strings. I once gave an estimate to a school for restringing a Steinway that had the same damage done. They called in another piano tech who said that there was nothing wrong and that I was just trying to get money from the school. Later the damage did show up and it was too late to have any work paid for by the insurance company,

Bill Balmer,RPT
Ohio Northern University and University of Findlay