[CAUT] harpsichord questions

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Feb 17 07:21:44 MST 2010

I have the late Margaret Hood's Harpsichord book that is a good reference.  These are still being offered in an ad in the classified section of The Journal.  I've never strung a whole harpsichord though I've had to replace lots of broken strings on them.  I've generally left +/- 14 inches of wire behind the pin and wrapped it around the pin while it's attached to the hitch pin.  It seems about right.  The loop is the most challenging thing to me.  All of the harpsichords at SMU had the long English loop like most piano bass strings and getting a tight loop without breaking the wire was the tough part.  I would have been much happier making German loops or even double German loops and if I were to have to string a whole instrument I'd probably go that route.  I don't think of putting a string on a harpsichord as being more difficult than on a piano, just different.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>