[CAUT] Birkett videos online

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 12 10:49:38 MST 2010

Fred Sturm wrote:

> To my eye, it looks like a beat.

It does to me too at first look, but then again... We're only
seeing about the first 0.4 seconds of the envelope. Listening
to phasing effects while tuning, that's the eowww sound that
pulls together about a second into it. Where's the video of
two seconds into the envelope, for comparison? The agraffe
shot shows the phase transfer between the left string and the
two right strings, which seem to be pretty close to in sync.
But look at the same time frame at the dampers. All three
strings are moving at different rates! But you can still see
the traveling wave impulse in both videos. I want to see the
one second, and two second videos, to see what is happening
after the impulse calms down some and the phasing effects pull
in. I want to see the pattern with an obvious false beat in
the unison, and I want to see the string excursion directions
in both standard bridge pinning and the Wapin some seconds
into the envelope, to see if there's a fundamental difference.
These were the requests I made when I signed up for one of the
CDs. Speaking of which, was anyone in PTG ever informed that
it was on them to produce these? That wasn't my impression at
the time.

Ron N