[CAUT] Birkett videos online

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 12 11:20:37 MST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>  Speaking of which, was anyone in PTG ever informed that it was on
> them to produce these? That wasn't my impression at the time.

I think it was a case of nothing actually being arranged. The "sign
up" was to see whether there would be interest. As for who needed to
take the initiative, make a decision, follow through, I doubt anyone
got that far. We are an organization full of great ideas, but a bit
slim on people who take the initiative and follow through. In any
case, there is a lot of footage "in the can" and if I can get access
to any of it, I'd be happy to pay for the privilege. I have the
definite impression that Birkett is happy to share the material, but I
don't think he is willing to volunteer the hundreds of hours of
editing and computer work to make a full DVD happen, let alone get
into the DVD publishing business (he did give us his time to make and
post what is up on his site).
	I, too, submitted a number of suggestions for further study,
including things like looking at a traveling hammer vs a "traveled"
one, a hammer head glued a bit askew vs a "well-burned" one, a loose
bridge pin, lots of things. We all need one of those high speed
videocams to play with <G>. At this point, data storage makes longer
videos at high definition more feasible. The size of the hard drives
he was porting to was a big limiting factor in how long a video could
be made. With 1T drives costing "next to nothing" these days, and
bigger ones available, the ten second clip becomes more feasible.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu