[CAUT] Birkett videos online

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 11 20:47:44 MST 2010

While we are on the subject of the Birkett videos, I am going to raise
an issue - a possibility - one more time. These videos were taken at
the Rochester convention in 2005, along with lots of others, which
included action models (in action) of the Overs action, Cristofori,
etc, a wide variety of things. One was a video done with Askenfelt,
live in a class, showing visually what he had demonstrated with
electronic sensors: a key bottoming out before the hammer began to
move upwards (two video cameras, synchronized, one focused on the key,
the other on the hammer).
	 At the time, a sign up sheet was circulated for people interested in
obtaining a DVD of a sampling of these materials to sign up on, and
lots of people did. I asked Stephen the next year whether a DVD would
be forthcoming, and the upshot seemed to be that nobody from PTG had
pursued the matter.
	As far as I can see, this kind of video is simply priceless, worth a
lot more than pages upon pages of articles and discussion. So I, for
one, would certainly love to see the project pursued, and I'm sure a
lot of you share that opinion. I wonder if anyone is connected in such
a way as to make this happen. Seems like a great Foundation project,
for instance.
Regards,
Fred