[CAUT] Steam explosion

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Thu Feb 11 09:25:30 MST 2010

Talk about steam voicing!

If the action is still free, then that would indicate that the piano was
not very affected by the moisture, plus the normally low pitch seems to
indicate that the board was not hurt, and that it had dried back down
again.  If you don't see any issues in a careful inspection of the
board, ribs and perimeter, I wouldn't worry about damage.  If you see
signs of ridges and crushed areas near the joints in the board,
separated ribs near the glue joints, or if you can get the board to push
away from the liner at any point around the edges, then you should point
this out and plan on issues later.

A more common cause for similar damage is when there is a fire in a part
of a house, and the house is doused thoroughly and the piano stands in a
very wet environment that had been hot and smoky.  I've seen a fair
number of pianos come through this nasty experience fine except for the
smoke smell.

Don Mannino

  _____