[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Feb 8 12:49:16 MST 2010

Jim Busby wrote:
> Thanks Ron,
>
> The "need" to continually smash, um, "seat" the string at
> the bridge still seems to common practice though.

Yes it does, unfortunately, and is still being taught at
conventions and seminars.

>I will
> save post in my "Ron Nossaman's Complete Guide for
> Technicians" file. <G>

Nowhere near complete, and always in danger of being scrapped
when better information comes along.

> One thing that readers might not remember is that you drill
> the hole deeper than the bridge pin so that it won't bottom
> out and rebound upward upon a RH change, and the laminated
> bridge caps you use. Since doing this my pianos have had
> WAY less false beats. All the "little stuff" adds up to a
> big deal.

The big problem is that most of the stuff we were ALL taught
about soundboards and bridges is proving to be wrong, piece by
piece, and most folks don't unlearn easily.
Ron N