[CAUT] Artist Benches

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 6 12:53:27 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
  From: Fred Sturm
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 3:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Artist Benches

  Hi Paul,
  I think the Schaff benches are provided by Jansen, though possibly GRK. You might give them a call and ask. Jansen's wholesale prices are comparable to what the piano supply houses charge us.

Yes. You can get it with Steinway knobs from Steinway for the price Paul mentioned.  Jansen's suggested retail is lower than that also, although a new price list came out this week, which I haven't seen yet.  I've not seen them jump that much at one time, but I suppose anything is possible.  I routinely sell them at below list, generally using http://www.gamblemusic.com as a reference. Just sold one yesterday in fact.

I got one from Schaff for my mom 25 years ago. It hasn't held up well at all.  And she's not big enough to get wet in the rain, much less wear out an artist bench.  Serviced a piano this week with a bench just like it and it was toast. Felt like I should have been wearing a life preserver while I was sitting on it. If you got too far off center, it dropped you right in the floor. I turned it over to try to see what I could tighten, but everything was so far gone there was nothing I could do to make it better. I really like how the Jansen benches are rebuildable and they will also recover them. I second the suggestion of keeping spare parts on hand, particularly the "shoulder bolts". Jansen sells them, but I saw something just like them in the special parts drawers at Lowes, though I haven't checked to see if they match.  And keep the hex wrenches in your tool kit to keep them tight.
Tanner