[CAUT] Slipping Beckets

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 3 10:33:42 MST 2010

Other than the hole being lubricated (as Gerry Cousins points out),
the only other reason I can think why one brand would be different
from another is the diameter of the becket hole. If it is larger, it
makes it harder to get a good sharp becket bend, and it provides less
friction through the hole. Small holes are better in that respect, but
harder to replace a string (get the old becket out and the new one
in). I'd concentrate on getting that initial bend sharp - a bit of a
jerking action helps. And make sure the becket stays flush in the hole
while adding tension. Or, of course, the little bend on the other
side, but that's more work and not as pretty.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu