[CAUT] bursting at the seams

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 20:19:48 MDT 2010

As one who is not even in a university anymore, I'm seeing a trend that "you guys" need to be aware of, and I would like to recommend you CYA.

Because of the ecomony, this enrollment increase is not going to stop any time soon, and neither are the budget cuts. Fred and Paul and others are already discovering the consequences of this. It was happening already at Alabama before I left. More students, mean more classes, more recitals and concerts, and less time to get to all the pianos and do the work.

Now is the time to have a meeting with your department chair and explain the situation. Do not wait until a faculty member complains that a piano doesn't work, or is out of tune. If your department chair knows about the problem before it happens, he will be able to explain to the faculty why there is a problem. It will mean lot more than coming from him,  because if you have to explain why there is a problem, it will sound like an excuse. But if he explains it, it will be a reason why.

(Am I starting to sound like Jeff?)

Wim