[CAUT] bursting at the seams

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 19 15:20:37 MDT 2010

Hi Fred,
 We're about in the very same situation. Tuition up, enrollement up,
salaries are stagnant this year, and the recital halls are already filling
up for the fall semester. UNL just got voted one of the top 50 state
universities in the country with an even higher interest and application
record.  That's a good thing, so I can keep my job! I've actually not seen
a busier recital September in my short 4 years (this being my 5th fall)
more work and same pay...which, sadly means, more work with less pay.
Also, with more students, of course, means less opportunities to tune in
practice rooms, more abuse of classroom pianos, more frequent repairs to
practice rooms, faculty rooms and concert instruments. Fortunately, I can
lock practice rooms with a "piano repairs under way" sign on them when I
really need to fix something.

I come in at 7am so I can have minimal disturbances in classrooms and
practice rooms, but by 10:30am, it's packed, noisy, and I find something
else to do for the rest of the day, like shop work,  faculty piano work,
and scheduling. Or...just deal with the chaos and get lesser qualities of
tunings.  Recital halls are a bit different except for one which doubles
as a huge classroom for giant classes like History of Rock, History of
Jazz and the like which are extremely popular as you can imagine. And, you
guessed it, is the most used recital hall in the school!!  I have great
advantage to have first dibs on concert tuning work times even above
faculty/student rehearsal requests!! Yay!

I haven't analyzed the numbers, but they're probably close to yours, Fred.
 I feel, though locked to a 40 hour/week schedule, that the pianos will
suffer, now, a bit more as I have to spread myself even thinner across the
board keeping to a strict 40 hours.  Also our Lied Center has an extremely
busy season scheduled with nearly twice as much piano needs as last year's
season.  A good line up to be sure, but that again, takes my time away
from the 110 SOM pianos.

I'm interested to hear from other CAUTS if you're in the same soup.

Best,
PAUL