[CAUT] New shanks from WNG/boring issues

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 19 16:37:35 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have these new shanks from WNG and ordered a set of Wally's naturals
which they bored at exactly what WNG suggested was 0.185" or (4.7mm).
shanks are 4.7mm and the same for the boring hole...so guess what- they
won't go on the shank!. I talked to one of the folks at Brooks and he
suggests reaming the hammer a bit to get some play between hammer and
shank.  More widened toward the shank end of the hammer hole than the
back.   these won't even slide on the shank, so I'll need to ream or
re-bore.  I'm leaning toward reaming as John at Brooks suggested this to
make the hole closer to to same at the back of the boring hole with room
for the glue at the front of the hole. He's tried several attacks, and WNG
keeps changing the deck. I'm now very nervous of where to go, but need
y'all's input on what you're finding.  Now with the NEW SHANKS< NOT SCORED
IN ANY WAY type.  just smooth to the end.

What have you all found to be the best solution to this? I'm not going
forward until I hear some of your stories.

These are the newest shanks with no roughing needed at the tail end of the
shank.

It sounds like this is still in developement with us to determine the
right procedures, and I'm a bit nervous with a $400+ set of hammers...even
with free shanks.  I want to get it right the first time

Thanks for more input.
Paul