[CAUT] CAUT Certification:...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 24 09:18:51 MDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> My chapter is having a difficult time reaching clarity about this
> proposal.
>
> What if there were various classes and exams, as mentioned, but no
> "endorsement?"
> One could say "I'm an RPT, and I've passed exams on Inventory
> Management, Concert Preparation, and so on."
> One might design one's own curriculum, including , some day, exams
> on rescaling, action geometry, etc.
>
> Would there be value in a system of classes and exams like this?
>
> Ed Sutton

	This is a possible alternative that has been discussed. In the end,
it becomes a question of what council wants to do. This is obviously a
very touchy, controversial topic. The long range plan calls for
development of credentials/certification in areas beyond/other than/in
addition to RPT. This is, thus, the official policy of PTG, passed by
council. The caut endorsement is the first proposal to be brought
forward under that portion of the long range plan.
	I think I would be speaking for the caut committee as a whole in
saying that whether or not a "credential/endorsement" is approved, we
would like to go forward with the educational plan we have developed.
And some form of "diploma" might be offered, possibly with some sort
of official standing. This raises other hackles, with various people
saying "PTG is not a school."
	Coming to a consensus in an organization like PTG is a long process.
When this is discussed in council, we will all have a better idea how
much support and opposition there is for various factors, and we will
be able to adapt to those realities. In any case, we want to bring
this to a head so that we can move on, one way or another. The
organization needs to decide whether it wants to pursue additional/
alternate credentials or not, and on what basis. It will be an
interesting discussion, I'm sure.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico