[CAUT] Dampers, (was harpsichord etc)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 18:40:08 MDT 2009

Ben Sloane writes:
<< It is also possible that Steinway is not pre-lubing the damper wires,
which we always did before installation, and as a result, even though we did
not leave a gap, ours rarely failed to return to rest position, while quite a
few of the new Steinways at CCM are having this problem even with the gap.
I do not understand why Steinway won’t pre-dip the uninstalled damper wires
into some kind of lubricating solution, which would be very simple at that
stage, or if they are, why the solution is not working. >>

Greetings,
   The wires do not need to be lubed to operate properly, at least, not the
ones I have serviced for over 30 years in a school setting.  It doesn't
hurt, but it is not necessary.  What the wires need is to be properly traveled
with just the slightest contact on one side of the bushing.   New Steinways
often exhibit damper sluggishness, but it is because of the wires' excessive
side pressure on the bushing guide rail felt. Every new Steinway grand I
have seen had this problem, even one recently that was "rebuilt" in the
factory restoration dept.
     I suppose the heavy pressure is allowed to make the dampers appear to
travel straight, but it is false economy.  The excessive pressure causes the
bushing felt to wear, which causes the damper to migrate sideways, which
causes the wedges to begin distorting, which causes increasing "yowl" upon
return.  It would also help if the treble-side tray support blocks were fitted
snugly between the keybed and the bellyrail, since the loose ones allow the
block to tilt, which allows the tray to move laterally, which causes
marginally traveled wires to bind.
    I own a 1914 model O which has the original guide rail felt in it, and
the dampers travel straight and true with the original bends in the wire, so
I know it can be done.  It just takes more care than many of them are given
these days.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Shop Dell’s full line of Laptops now
starting at $349!