[CAUT] Dampers, (was harpsichord etc)

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Sat Jun 13 12:58:08 MDT 2009

   Hello Ed,
   I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I need to clarify in response to your observation that

   "The wires do not need to be lubed to operate properly, at least, not the
ones I have serviced for over 30 years in a school setting..."

  There are more reasons for lubing the wires than proper operation of the damper. Before I get to that, I should add that depressing the sustain pedal while lubing them in the piano in order to get the solvent on the wire at the bushing point helps. The problem with reducing the pressure bend is as I had described in the post you quoted, that the dampers begin rattling when the gap is there in my experience. I prefer to use a lubricant than reducing the pressure bend to prevent this, something that is avoided by not leaving the gap in the rebuilding process.

   Accuracy is obtained more easily in the damper regulation process when lubing the entire damper wire, and tightening the damper lever screws, snug, not tight. Twisting the damper is possible with or without removal of the action when approaching it this way without loosening the damper lever screw, and one also avoids putting a notch in the damper wire by not over-tightening the damper lever screw, which makes modifying the damper level as the felt wears easier, preventing the screw from forcing the damper wire back to the original place when attempting to raise or lower the damper placement in the lever. In other words over-tightening can leave a notch in the damper wire, or a scratch, if an effort is made to twist the damper while it is tight, or not properly lubricated. As for slipping of the damper wire in the damper lever by using this method, this rarely occurs, and in the University setting, if it does, you are there to fix it quick as pressure bend problems. It is also consistent with the Steinway approach of reducing friction at action centers to do this, though the location where the damper wire and the damper guide rail felt meet is not usually described as an action center, without causing the kind of problems people complain about where Steinway action centers proper are concerned. I used to get chewed out for over-tightening the damper screws in the shop I started working in for this very reason.

    More than one way to skin a cat...

   Thanks for responding,
  - Ben