[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up (David Love)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 12 18:39:02 MDT 2009

One possibility: Maybe three to four years ago, when I was at a
Steinway factory seminar, I was told that they had recently changed
lacquer suppliers (for refinishing). The voicers simply take their
lacquer from the pot in refinishing. Apparently the new supply was the
standard thickness, not the thinner stuff they had been using before
(about double the solids). I heard that at some point the voicers
started asking questions, and they discovered the cause of the
problem: double the solids in the hammers. Note that 3:1 Steinway is
equivalent in most cases to 6:1 off the shelf lacquer.
	I suspect a number of sets of hammers, including some that were boxed
up for sale, were given this erroneous extra heavy dose. I wouldn't be
surprised if Israel's experience is based on on of those sets. I
haven't found the hammers from the past two years to be over
lacquered. I will be installing a set on a D in the next three weeks,
and will see what I find.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico