[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up (David Love)

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Fri Jun 12 16:46:10 MDT 2009

     Hello Israel,
   To my knowledge, the lacquer that Steinways is using today in pre-lacquering, is nitrocellulose lacquer, and from what people tell me about the dipping buckets, in various concentrations. Nitrocellulose lacquer with less solids and more thinner generally is used for wood, while nitrocellulose lacquer with more solids and less thinner is generally used for metals. For the most part, nitrocellulose lacquer does have a slightly yellow tint, consistent to the observation you made "that there was something soaked into them much deeper than what a 30-second dip would suggest. Perhaps it was lacquer - someone who saw the color of the stuff said otherwise. Rather bright yellow... In any case, those hammers ended up being rock hard - which is why we had to rinse them out." If you want clear lacquer, you need to buy acrylic, for the most part just used for metals. The acrylic dries harder than the nitrocellulose, which as a result of drying softer, causes the needle to stick more. You just may have received a set that was dipped in a bucket with some extremely dense nitrocellulose lacquer. For us, the important thing is to find something, get used to it, and stick with it. It is difficult when people try to force you to use lacquer you are not accustomed to, and can undo what you learned in the process of juicing over the years.

   We also need to observe that the hardness of Steinway felt changes over the years. Back in the late 70's and early 80's the hammers were softer than today. In fact, I would bet that even some of the new Boston pianos that arrived with the Steinways here at CCM had softer hammers than the newer Steinway hammers, difficult to determine because of the pre-lacquering process now used somewhat inconsistently. Because hammer density itself apart from hardening is never a constant, there is the possibility that a very experienced technician may over-lacquer a Steinway hammer while dipping it at the factory regardless of lacquer concentration.

   I have heard all this Steinway hammer stuff ad nauseam ad infinitum. I would guess most of the people in this discussion who did not give up on Steinway hammers have more experience with needling them then I, though I have experience with them going back over 20 years. However I would like to add some observations about juicing that appears to be an obsolete understanding of voicing American Steinway hammers today.

   Back in the 80's and 90's, Steinway started cropping tails, and sent out otherwise faulty hammers. As much a pain as it was, if the hammers were not satisfactory, we sent them back to Steinway, got our money back, or got another set. I think sometimes we sent back sets of hammers three times over. If you feel that a set you get is faulty, why not send them back? Make them send you an adequate set. However, it is important to observe a huge improvement has developed from the parts division since then. Finding a solution for receiving inadequate pre-lacquered hammers is more difficult. That alone could be an argument against pre-lacquering. You to some extent won't know until hanging them, and then it is too late, though it could include damage you personally caused.

    I heard some things from people taught in the old school "Steinway Academy" that I never hear from the ones who have recently been trained at the factory. Some new trainees say you cannot ruin an American Steinway hammer. Perhaps we are dealing with a more resilient hammer than the old school was. Others have claimed to me you cannot over-needle a Steinway hammer, and you simply can juice needle juice needle juice needle juice needle juice needle juice needle juice needle until your hearts' content, people who get extremely upset when I say what some of the old school Steinway people use to say. Again, the old school may be talking about a different hammer than the new school. From my conversations with recent Steinway school graduates, I am about to learn something different from the following when I enter the academy.

   The best way to go about lacquering a set of American Steinway hammers, people used to say, is to lacquer few times as possible, and needle little as possible. Part of the challenge for Ken Sloane when he taught me to juice was to juice as few times as possible with as little needling as possible, trying to estimate exactly how much and what concentration of lacquer to use, something determined by how well the solution penetrated, and then to do so evenly as possible, in as few passes as possible. By the way, he used the acrylic lacquer, and the factory approved, because he got good results. For successive coats, contrary to what the factory teaches today, you would juice off the top depending on judgment and solution penetration into hammer. Though in more than one place with more than one way and one piano tech. I have witnessed a confrontation with some heavy-handed Eastern European male who never seems to understand the lacquered Steinway sound that has lead some to the last resort, to using another kind of hammer, some old-schoolers like Ken Sloane succeeded in the concert hall going about voicing American Steinway Hammers with this general approach, and I should probably add, shift pedal needling.

  Obviously, Steinway is teaching a completely different method today, and possibly, manufacturing a better, more resilient hammer with better felt than the old school dealt with, capable of more needling. Whether or not any of the problems Stein had related to this, I do not know. I just wanted everybody to know that Steinway did not always teach the things people are learning from Steinway about voicing American Steinway Hammers today, and that it is nitrocellulose lacquer that causes the yellowing.

   Glad you improved it,

-          Ben