[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 09:35:55 MDT 2009

I've heard similar reports on occasion for the prehardened hammers which has
prompted some to insist on getting them raw.  The problems I've heard have
more been that the hammers were too hard and people were not able to voice
them down enough especially through the tenor.  If the hammers lack power
after the prelacquering then sometimes adding additional lacquer can present
problems as the core felt becomes impervious to additional applications and
it just stays near the surface.  This can cause a very bright tone when
played p - mf but when you try and get to fff the hammer collapses and the
power seems to bottom out prematurely.

For performance Steinways I'm more inclined to go to a different hammer, a
more fully tensioned and harder pressed hammer such as a Hamburg Renner or
even an Abel Select such as Pianotek sells or maybe the Abel naturals from
Brooks.  The ability to release tension to the crown on that type of hammer
plus the greater out of the box firmness obviates the use of lacquer (except
maybe on the top most hammers) and gives greater power without the downside
of over lacquering.

The softer, lacquered hammer is fine for their smaller pianos whose upper
end demands aren't as great and whose scale tensions also argue for
something more flexible.  Even there, however, I would still ask for them
unhardened so that you can control that yourself or use a Bacon felt hammer
from Ronsen which gives a very similar texture with the use of lacquer.  The
difference being that the Ronsen hammer starts out a bit firmer than the
unlacquered Steinway hammer and so the application of lacquer need only be a
fairly modest one.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com