[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 09:14:14 MDT 2009

Hello again,

For all of you who are claiming success with the pre-hardened Steinway
hammers - how many of you have had success with them on a top-quality
concert hall stage instrument? Which is the situation we found ourselves
in her at SF State. I have used those hammers before also, with good -
even excellent - results. In less demanding situations. But when it came
to the very demanding concert hall use - the hammers, as delivered, fell
short. They never delivered the volume that this instrument is capable
of - pianists complained that it took too much work to get the volume
they needed, and nothing we did could improve that. Flushing the
hardener and starting over gave much more satisfactory results - both in
terms of volume and tone color. Which tells me that having full control
of the hardening process may work better than depending on what they do
in the factory. Of course, there is always the possibility that this set
of hammers is an exception - that for some reason it was overhardened at
the factory. I still prefer, in the future, to put the lacquer where I
want it if i need to use Steinway hammers and not depend on the
factory's alleged 30-second soaking. As long as Steinway makes
un-hardened hammers available - which I believe they do.

Israel Stein