[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybe Pure Sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 10 19:47:48 MDT 2009

Kent Swafford, are you there?

Consider this line of thought:

Assuming that all unisons involve some degree of coupling, then it is not
possible to tune a "mathematically perfect" unison by usual aural methods
because, as the tuned note approaches unison, when it passes the "coupling
threshold" it will couple with the other string(s) without having to be the
exact matching frequency. (Listening high up the partials would help.)

Since, with Tunic Pure Sound, you are tuning each string of the unison
"solitary," to match the ETD display, is it possible that the three strings,
when tuned this way, are closer to a "mathematically perfect" unison that an
aurally tuned unison can be?

Can this account for the unusually clear sound of certain very widely spaced
chords on the Hailun piano you tuned with Tunic?

Ed Sutton