[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Jun 10 19:27:39 MDT 2009

I have seen a demonstration of coupling strings with a staple-like
device in order to tame excessive false beating.  It was interesting
how far out-of-tune with each other they could be before you would
hear a beat.  The coupling done in this fashion weakens the higher
partials and so in the plain wires is usually utilized only on two
strings of a unison.  In the bass weakening the the higher partials
would be a blessing on some the of cheap Asian "pianos" I've tuned.

I do like the Sauter treble, I have an Omega here at the store and it
also has titanium pins etc.  Strong, well balanced trebles, do seem to
be the hallmark of all the Sauters that have passed through this store.

Andrew Anderson