[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 10 15:57:42 MDT 2009

If you can hear the string, it's fair to assume the soundboard is moving at
frequencies similar to some of those in the string, therefore it's
reasonable to assume that the bridge is also moving. Thus it is also likely
that when frequencies are very close, coupling will occur. The amplitude of
the wave in the string will play a role as well. Perhaps when it becomes too
small to move the bridge, the strings de-couple, at least at that particular
partial.

This may not involve all the partials of the unison at all times. For
example, in the higher octaves the first partial may become inaudible almost
immediately. The Sauter concert grand with titanium armor in the top octaves
is remarkable for the clarity and sustain of the first partials in octaves 6
and 7.

Ed S.