[CAUT] University Budgets and Payroll

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed Jun 10 15:27:10 MDT 2009

   Hello Rob and Ron,

  First of all, I need to make clear that I am a very fortunate person and piano tech. to be employed at CCM; I am genuinely lucky. That having been admitted, I have an observation about the following statement:

   "We have the unique ability among many educational employees
of being able to generate income on our own - outside of
the system"

   Actually, the people we work with most consistently, Piano Profs, can make a tidy sum with a piano gig. Some of the ones I've talked to do on a regular basis. E.g., all expense paid trip to Buenos Aires for a performance, 5000 dollars in cash after only one performance to fly back with. And at most institutions the piano profs get the time off to do it, winter, spring break, summers, sabbatical for the tenured profs, artist's in residence. In addition, many of the instrumental instructors at CCM play for the orchestra as well. Set design, lighting, sound, electronic media, all metropolitan areas have a variety of performance areas where these tech people find contract work beyond the university. Dance instructors can teach private lessons at better hourly rates than us, theatre faculty have the opportunity to work beyond the school in acting. Computer tech people have lots of opportunities beyond the confines of the Conservatory.
   I am not too sure we are unique in the conservatory arena with the opportunity we have to do work elsewhere. Just in the unwarranted reputation for abusing the privilege, and not being given the time to do it. It is to an extent most in piano technology that the pay in the institutional setting carries with it the assumption that we will pace ourselves for outside work. Absolutely no reason to feel guilty about it.
   I already feel like I am too busy just to do what I do at the school. I am of the conviction that more time off would help.

   Concerning the rubric "University Budgets and Payroll," I look at it less like a budget and more like a food chain. The question, who is at the top, the parasites or the host? Wilkipedia uses this pertinent description of the relationship:

"Parasitism is a type of symbiotic relationship between two different organisms where one organism, the parasite, takes favor from the host, sometimes for a prolonged time. In general, parasites are much smaller than their hosts, show a high degree of specialization for their mode of life, and reproduce more quickly and in greater numbers than their hosts."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite

I suppose being the parasite has its disadvantages too. I am also concerned the fervor for a CAUT certification will turn out to be another opportunity for parasitism. Last thing I need is another expense. In fact, I gave up self-employment for employment at a University to cut back on expenses, not create new ones. Though in many disciplines knowledge in the field must remain current, when is the education over? How many piano profs are still taking piano lessons?

    Respectfully, and maybe too sardonically,
     - Ben