[CAUT] University Budgets and Payroll

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Jun 9 17:34:30 MDT 2009

California is just one example, many states have spent themselves broke but
California is probably the worst.  I grew up there, spent half my life
there, have family there, live 2 hours from the state line, and visit about
every other month.  Trust me, 30 years ago there was no comparison.   I
really miss the California I grew up with.   Back then they didn't have to
delay tax returns for a month because the state was too broke to pay them.
I know the guy that used to be the city manager of  South San Francisco, he
was my best friend's dad.  When he took the job the books were a complete
mess with a deficit FAR out weighing revenue.  They kept asking him to
approve more spending.  When he argued that he couldn't they fired him and
found someone who would.  They didn't want a city manager, all they wanted
was someone who would sign blank checks and look the other way.  Now THAT is
stupid!

Rob

Rob, you caught me at "the right place at the right time"...

WTF?  You take potshots at California, seemingly espousing
fiscal responsibility and then try and find a way to
game the system?!?

Shame on you.