[CAUT] 1912 B: speaking lengths anyone?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 25 19:42:18 PST 2009

> Due to shifting priorities and budgets, I ended up shoving a 1912 B into
> the corner for a month or two, after just nicely installing a new board
> and planing bridges to final height.
>

> That several month delay somehow turned into several years, and now I
> find that four winters of single-digit shop humidity has taken a toll.
> Though there’s still enough crown to work with (sniff), the down-bearing
> isn’t worth the bother, so rather than whine about it, I’m just going to
> plane the cap off and start again.

Is it four years, or the likelihood that the current RH% puts
the board at about the MC at which it was ribbed originally?
Who built the board, and is it a hybrid rib/compression
crowned, with machine crowned ribs, or pure compression
crowned with flat ribs? If the latter, it's likely as fine as
it ever had a chance of being with that design. Four years of
no string load shouldn't have dramatically affected the crown,
even in a purely compression crowned board. At what time of
year, and at what RH% was the bearing and bridge height
established? Too many holes in the information so far to
diagnose.

> So, to preclude any further humbling, it seems like a good time to stop
> and double-check my speaking lengths. If anyone has a spreadsheet of
> plain-wire speaking lengths (millimeters, sil vous plais) they wouldn’t
> mind sharing, I would certainly appreciate it.

I don't understand what the speaking lengths would have to do
with this, or why they can't be measured in the piano (as they
should be).
Ron N