[CAUT] Effects of RH on Crown... was B speaking lengths.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 27 04:02:26 PST 2009

    " Four years of no string load shouldn't have dramatically affected
    the crown, even in a purely compression crowned board."

This sentence caught my eye and immediately raises a couple questions in
my mind.  These should not be of any controversial nature so I hope a
couple nicely factual answers should be possible to get.

--  How much of a seasonal change in RH does it take to in fact
dramatically change the crown in an unloaded CC board ?
--  Related to this... how many years would it take for this to happen ?
-- What degree of seasonal RH change is then critical for an unloaded
board ?

It would seem on the surface of things, that if an unloaded CC board can
be said to be fine over many years, that one could also figure a
critical amount of increase in compression due to string bearing for any
given expected RH seasonal swing.

Not that that figure would be necessarily compatible with bearing needs
from an acoustical point of view... but it would be interesting to know
and compare the two me thinks.

Cheers
RicB