[CAUT] professor tuning variables (David Love)

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Wed Feb 25 07:53:03 PST 2009

All I want to throw in is, and I think at least some will agree, that over
time and experience with various formulas eventually one arrives at your own
style.  This is partly what makes it fun. Of course we need reference
points, and that is where it must start, but memorizing countless formulas
is not what keeps me going.  As for individual requests, yes, we should
listen to, respect and even cultivate these discussions as appropriate, with
respect to the fact that ultimately what is appropriate is the tuners call.
That is what we do.
Nobody understands the subtle variations between pianos and inharmonicity
like us.  That is our business.
Shifting particular notes by 1/2 cent either way to hone in symmetry or
proportionally beating triads are the aesthetic judgements that make me
smile on the job.  The ETD can not be trusted with that detail any more then
we trust it with unisons.  I like my machine and use it every day, but
that's not the reason I tune unequally.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College