[CAUT] professor tuning variables (David Love)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 14:28:49 PST 2009

Yes Ed S., I do know the difference.  Ed Foote posted the following to which
I was in agreement and I commented to that effect in a response to your
post.  Life is confusing isn't it?

Ron writes:
<< If not for ETDs, it wouldn't be an option today. How about a show of
hands for those offering a plethora of alternative temperaments tuned
aurally. >>

      Um,  I only got one that I can comfortably do aurally, but what's the
point?  Historically, technology has virtually always driven the changes in
intonation. New tech, new musical results.  Why should now be any different?

     I did follow Jorgensen's aural instructions for a number of the
well-temperaments, and it ain't rocket science.  I did it to see how close
the theory was to the numbers from within a machine.  I couldn't tell an
appreciable difference between the two approaches, so of course, I take the
easiest one.  It allows control of stretch without consecutive rising rates,
and it removes several difficulties, such as minor pitch corrections while
tuning.

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Not sure what you mean.
Ed Foote is Ed Foote, and Ed Sutton is me.
We have some interesting things in common, but aren't the same person, so
far as I know.

Ed S. = Sutton