[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Feb 23 01:08:01 PST 2009

Exactly Ed.
And just as it is the responsibility of a composer/player to utilize
such tools consciously and creatively... purposefully if you will.... it
is the responsibility of the listener to pay attention to what is in
front of him/her.  Likes and dislikes are not always ... quite often not
as it were... aligned with appreciation of what an artist has done....
or tried to. Personally... I think UET opens way more windows then they
close.  Whether anyone chooses to climb through one or not is another
matter.

Cheers
RicB

    I see the logical issues with UET and modulation, though I can also
    imagine the unexpected could be used creatively. It depends on how
    you conceive of modulation. ET assumes a pantographic process with
    linear changes in beat speed. UET presumably can use non-linearity
    to good effect