[CAUT] HIstorical temperaments and compensation

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Mon Feb 2 22:19:12 PST 2009

Hi, Fred.

I'd like to try to add a little clarity on using MIDI and HTs.

First, the MIDI command language is virtually universal to digital
keyboards, computer music applications, and other aspects of music and
entertainment, such as lighting control. MIDI does not contain or
transmit sound or samples of sound, only the commands to control, and to
some extent, modify the behavior of the receiving instrument, which
could be a synthesizer, a sampler, a computer containing synthesizer or
sampler software, etc. The point is, you don't need to get into tuning
samples or other Rube Goldbergian workarounds to achieve what you're
after, because it's up to the receiving synthesizer/keyboard to produce
notes in response to note-on commands from the controller, and to
tune/detune those tones for HTs with its own internal facilities.

Many modern keyboards and synthesizer modules have a global parameter
that enables the user to select from a variety of historical
temperaments. Thereafter, all music produced by that module from any
incoming MIDI commands will sound in the selected temperament, with no
tuning-related pre-processing of the controller's commands required.
Change the selected HT, and voila', the music is heard in the newly
selected HT. In some instruments, it's even possible to change the
starting tone upon which the temperament is based, thereby enabling
transposition of the temperament without changing the general pitch
level of the music, to demonstrate the differing effects produced by a
given HT, but rotated around the key circle by any arbitrary interval.
IOW, you could hear a piece written in say Eb, but with the temperament
transposed to Eb to produce the "effect" of the intervals as if you were
playing in C, but still heard in Eb. Pretty cool.

Since Sibelius and Finale both output MIDI commands from the MIDI Out
port, you can use a pre-recorded track from either one, or any other
MIDI controller/keyboard/etc. to send the note commands. It is up to the
receiving module to apply the desired HT. Therefore, you don't have to
do any sampling, retuning, programming, or anything; just find a MIDI
module that contains HTs, select the one you want to hear, attach the
controller, and hit PLAY.

As to specific instruments that contain these facilities, starting way
back in the 80s and 90s, Kurzweil 1000, 2000, and 2500 series synths had
various temperaments built in. My recent portable Yamaha P120 digital
piano has half a dozen HTs. I'm sure there are many others, but I don't
know names offhand. I would suggest a query to Sweetwater Sound, and
possibly directly to Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Nord, and other
manufacturers' tech support.

I hope this saves you from chasing a wild goose when dinner's already on
the table, or at least in the pantry.  :-)

-Mark Schecter