[CAUT] HIstorical temperaments and compensation

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Feb 2 18:58:35 PST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 6:56 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> Does anybody out there know if there is something like this out
> there already?

	I have asked about such things, thinking of having some kind of cyber
files that could be used to take something in Sibelius or Finale and
play it in various temperaments. I was wondering if it was possible to
change the tuning of the files in electronic midi sound samples. At
the time, there didn't seem to be an easy way. But maybe since then
someone has done something. I had the impression that it might be
necessary to tune a real instrument and do samplings, and that
changing temperament of existing files was out of the question, at
least the way they were set up - you could change the pitch of
everything evenly (up or down), but couldn't do something simple like
we do with ETDs in using a template to change a whole tuning. But
there have been a lot of technological advances since then. I will be
interested to see what you find out. It would be a very useful thing,
if it existed.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico