[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 13:17:16 MST 2009

> Thu, 24 Dec 2009 19:52:13  PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:
>
> In a message dated 12/24/2009 2:21:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> custos3 at comcast.net writes:
>
> However  there is a
> possibility that this new Dean may decide to abolish CATS as a  cost
> saving measure and move all the technicians under the direct  supervision
> of the various schools' Directors. In such a case I may very  well
> consider quitting...
> I can only wish you good luck in this, Israel. New Deans have a penchant
> for new brooms, not just from a cost perspective, but often from an ego
> perspective. Your situation is highly unusual, I think, although I would be
> interested in hearing from others if their management structure has such
> built-in protections.
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Paul

Thank you, Paul

I don't know if Lew Surdam is subscribed to this list, but over in
Harvard they have an unusual setup also, which he can tell you about.
Here at SFSU this setup was created back in the glory days when August
Coppola (who just died in November after a long retirement) was Dean for
an extended period. That's Francis Ford Coppola's brother and Nicholas
Cage's father - he was an architect and a designer by profession and
lots of his very unusual and imaginative buildings are all over San
Francisco. So I am not surprised that he came up with a rather unusual
and imaginative administrative setup also...

Happy New Year,

Israel