[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 24 08:37:35 MST 2009

>> And, I'd say under the circumstances that it's a good thing you're a
>> union worker.
>> Tanner
>>
> It has been, so far. But we now have a new Dean who just summarily fired
> an administrator in apparent violation of lots of union contract
> provisions. A grievance has been filed. So until this entire saga plays
> out, I am going to keep a very low profile - and pianos be damned. So far
> this Dean has been very responsive to our concerns about the pianos (he is
> a theater person - not a musician - and therefore tends to respect
> technicians of all stripes a lot more than musicians do. But then when you
> are on the theater stage, your life and health - and the success of the
> show - depend on those stage techs...) In any case, I'm not taking any
> chances...
>
> Israel Stein

The reason I say that is that if your "boss" is changing every year or 1/2
year, no one knows from one to the next what your agreement with the
administration is. It wouldn't matter what you had in writing, if one dean
comes in and decides he wants you to do things differently, all he's got to
do is make things difficult and make you want to leave.
Jeff