[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 07:03:56 MST 2009

> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:23:47 -0500 Jeff Tanner wrote:
>
> Israel,
> Sounds like your faculty needs to establish a Faculty Senate to be able to enact policies that can weather administrative changes.
We have one. It's dysfunctional. Seems that you can't have an effective
Faculty senate in re: policies when the faculty themselves are the
biggest violators. When we did have some policies in place
(theoretically at least) there was no mechanism for enforcing them. The
biggest problem is that nobody is in charge of managing the concert
hall. Nominally it is under the jurisdiction of the Dean's office, but
in practice access is uncontrolled. And all the full-time faculty have
keys to it (it is on the same low-security key that opens classrooms -
and nobody ever locks anything after they are done). And the CATS staff
(Creative arts Technical Services) who actually maintain the hall will
open the hall and any piano (they are padlocked) for any faculty member
who requests access if nothing else is scheduled (and piano service time
is defined - at least in the faculty's mind - as "nothing is scheduled",
even though it is listed as a class). The CATS do  try to follow my
guidelines as to piano use - but they won't fight real hard if someone
gets insistent...
> And, I'd say under the circumstances that it's a good thing you're a union worker.
> Tanner

It has been, so far. But we now have a new Dean who just summarily fired
an administrator in apparent violation of lots of union contract
provisions. A grievance has been filed. So until this entire saga plays
out, I am going to keep a very low profile - and pianos be damned. So
far this Dean has been very responsive to our concerns about the pianos
(he is a theater person - not a musician - and therefore tends to
respect technicians of all stripes a lot more than musicians do. But
then when you are on the theater stage, your life and health - and the
success of the show - depend on those stage techs...) In any case, I'm
not taking any chances...

Israel Stein