[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Dec 6 11:58:32 MST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Cliff Lesher wrote:

> I'm still interested.  I love it when facts slam dunk fictional
> thinking.
>
> Cliff Lesher
> Winfield, PA

Well, I don't know if there will be a slam dunk. But here are some
figures:
C7 at 3.9" or 99 mm
.031" (.80 mm) 69Kg 55%
.033" (.84 mm) 76 Kg 59%
.037" (.94 mm) 95 Kg 60%
.041" (1.04 mm) 117 Kg 61%

C4 at 23.4" or 595 mm
.031" 39 Kg 31%
.033" 43 Kg 33%
.037" 54 Kg 34%
.041" 66 Kg 35%

Using a different spreadsheet:
C7 at 3.9" or 99 mm
.031" (.80 mm) 67Kg 52%
.033" (.84 mm) 76 Kg 53%
.037" (.94 mm) 95 Kg 55%
.041" (1.04 mm) 117 Kg 57%

C4 at 23.4" or 595 mm
.031" 38 Kg 29.2%
.033" 43 Kg 29.8%
.037" 54 Kg 31%
.041" 66 Kg 32%

	How significant is this under what circumstances? Under most
circumstances, probably not very significant. But when you are pushing
the envelope, as, for instance, stringing a modern grand with Pure
Sound throughout, or trying to restore an old instrument with Rose
wire, it may be the difference. And it sure looks to me like the
pattern is clear.
	As Ron says, it doesn't much matter in a normal modern grand, where
the most you are going to do is a half or full size, and where the
tensions are already low for most of the scale, typically well below
40% except up high. And also, for the top notes, just a little too big
a distance for C8 makes it impossible. Still, for that C8, it's a
better bet to go down to #12 wire than up to #14.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu