[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 6 13:17:50 MST 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     How significant is this under what circumstances?

More to the point, what indication do you have that either of
these formulas you're using reflect reality? The Sanderson
formula I gave you shows no change in break% with wire change.
The Hays formula, from A Guide To Restringing, also shows no
change in break%. Those who have done actual empirical testing
say that, on average, the strings break at the same pitch. No,
this doesn't mean precisely to 14 decimal places every single
time, but on average, there is no statistical trend for the
0.001" smaller wire to have a higher tensile strength. I'll
say it again in hopes that someone will refrain from telling
me I'm forgetting it and attempt to inform me - Smaller
diameter wire does, indeed have slightly higher tensile
strength than larger diameter wire because of the change in
the crystalline structure of the steel from repeated drawing
through ever smaller dies. But this isn't evident in wire
sizes 0.001" apart. The friction explanation from the tension
change makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard,
read, or devised myself.

Ron N