[CAUT] Concert hall and studio pianos

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 08:47:18 MST 2009

Fri, 4 Dec 2009 21:37:27 -0600 Dennis Johnson <johnsond at stolaf.edu>:

> I've got to chime in on that too and put my feet down on the regular hours.
> There are those rare people who prefer working night shifts, but we are not
> paid enough for those expectations.  Staying late or coming in early on
> occasion is normal, but that is also above and beyond which all the staff do
> now and then.  I probably have a little issue with those very few who would
> prefer us to never be seen and not deal with the reality.  You can't allow
> that to happen.  It's got to be a mutually respectful or it's not going to
> work.
>
> dennis
Dennis and all,

This is an area where we here at San Francisco State can consider
ourselves extremely lucky, for two reasons:

1. We have a union contract which mandates that we cannot be required to
work outside our regularly scheduled hours without overtime compensation
(us being half-time employees it would be straight-time compensation up
to 40 hours a week, but there is still added cost - we cannot be forced
to take "compensatory time off" instead of overtime pay).
2. We do not work for the School of Music and Dance (SMD) but for an
independent central service entity called Creative Arts Technical
Services (CATS), which provides technical services to all the schools
within the College of Creative Arts - Theater, Music and Dance,
Broadcast and Electronic Communications, Sculpture, Painting, Industrial
Art and Design, etc.

The result is that the SMD Director and the Music faculty are our
clients and have to cooperate with us in order to get the service they
require. They get their required service by negotiation - not by issuing
orders -  and we have the backing of a Director-level manager in case of
any conflicts or complaints, who protects our (and his department's)
interests. His basic attitude is - if they don't want to cooperate, it's
their problem, not ours. Also, SMD has to actually pay fees to CATS for
any service that is outside the routine service (such as overtime
tunings). Another effect of this system is that our direct supervisor
(who comes from a theater background - stage electrician) respects us as
fellow trained professionals - and does not consider us his professional
inferiors, as music deans, directors and faculty often tend to do.

I don't know how this system came about, but it seems to me that a lot
of problems we are plagued with could be avoided if piano service were
managed by entities other than the direct users of the services - music
departments. The only other place that I know of where piano technicians
report to an entity other than the Music faculty is Harvard - where they
are, I believe, employees of Buildings and Grounds.

With regard to the specific problems of "good" piano overuse - we have
laid down the gauntlet to the Music faculty: if you allow overuse and
abuse of concert and studio pianos, you will have to live with the
consequences, because we can no longer be assured of the budget required
to rebuild the pianos that you and your students trash by overuse due to
the dire California budget situation. And we also won't honor requests
for extra tunings on studio pianos - because they are padlocked, the
faculty have keys and any overuse that they allow is their problem - not
ours. Studio pianos are tuned every 4 weeks, and concert pianos before
every concert whenever possible (it isn't possible on our days off or
when the concert hall is overscheduled).  We have weekly access time to
the concert piano for additional maintenance work. Each teaching studio
has 2 pianos in it - and one of the two is designated as the primary
teaching piano - and is supposed to be padlocked by the professor when
not in use. The other is available for student practice during off
hours. We have 3 piano professors. One locks his piano religiously (he
pushed for the lock system - because he got tired of his piano being
banged out of tune by practicing students). Another allows certain
student on her schedule to practice after the last lesson - but asks
that he/she lock the piano when they are done. She is always pushing to
allow students to practice on "good" pianos and nobody has been able to
get through her head the idea that pianos don't stay "good" very long if
they are constantly used for practice. The third never locked a piano in
his life... The results are predictable... Also we have - over the past
3 years - rebuilt several grands and rearranged piano use so as to put 2
grands (Steinway M's) in practice rooms for piano majors' exclusive use,
and may be able to get a third one if the Director follows our advice.
There are also several Steinway grands, one Mason & Hamlin BB, a Baldwin
F and a Yamaha C-7 plus some lesser grands in classrooms and rehearsal
studios available for practice use outside teaching and scheduled
rehearsal hours - but the students all want to get their hands on the
studio pianos.

Israel Stein