[CAUT] Anodized aluminum pins and capstans

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Dec 5 22:48:48 MST 2009

Fred,

It's nice to have a real pianist comment!  How about octave glissandi?
I've always felt that was a good test for an action...

Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to use any chemicals or additives to
bushing cloth?!  I think this is possible with the hard anodized pins...
I'll take a closer look myself..  If it appears to be low friction
from the start then I would expect, based on my 16 year experience
with capstans, that the friction will be just as low in another 16
years with key bushings.

It would be interesting to put a few heavily used practice pianos
into service with mixed conventional pins, conventional pins with
lubed  felt, and hard anodized pins and see how they hold up over
time...

Thanks,

David