[CAUT] Sustain in modern grands: was S S model M

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 6 06:21:25 MST 2009

Hi all

Since this sustain issue in the upper treble comes up again... I thought
I'd raise a question I'm coming across increasingly as I get more
involved in historical instruments and as I see more pianists reactions
to new bridge configurations meant to increase existing modern sustain
times in this region.

I'll post a sound sample  from a brand new copy of a piano forte made in
the Netherlands of some Haydn pieces to illustrate later this evening.

Nearly all the music written for the piano was written for an instrument
that had quite a bit shorter sustain time... indeed very different tonal
qualities.  Indeed at some point the modern instrument tends to redefine
(read make redundant) the term Staccato. Even as the modern instrument
began to take form there is serious question as to how much conscious
use of sustain time in especially these regions of the piano were a part
of the composers mindset.

Eonic sustain times up here may be something ears in the near recent
past have decided to indulge in... but they are hardly an issue from say
50 years ago on back in time... quite probably the opposite was true if
anything at all... decay qualities.

I get the feeling that as long as an area experiences a smooth
transition to adjacent areas... there is no issue brought up by the
pianist.  This includes all sorts of touch issues as well for that matter.

Cheers
RicB