[CAUT] Sustain in modern grands: was S S model M

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 6 10:54:33 MST 2009

Malcolm Bilson has recorded a DVD lecture "Knowing the Score,"
(www.cornellpress.cornell.edu), in which he demonstrates how different
instruments "force" the interpretation of Mozart and Beethoven, largely due
to different qualities of attack and sustain, and also due to presence or
lack of timbral differences between various registers of the piano. I
recommend it.

One of my customers has a 10-year-old S & S M. Due to construction and
weather the humidity in her house has been very high this year. She
complains that the sustain of the undamped treble has become too long! (It
is long.)

In my shop I have a rescue piano, on which I have tested several of the
technologies for increasing sustain. They work, and the piano is no fun to
play.

Ed S.