[CAUT] S S model M

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 4 20:14:16 MST 2009

There have been lots of suggestions but before I underwent any surgical
procedures I would at least make sure that there is adequate bearing on that
part of the bridge and if not consider pulling down the plate to see if that
improves things.  Measure the bearing and crown in the section first.  Then
loosen the nose bolt and see if the plate rises in that area.  If it rises
significantly then the plate has already been flexed downward and  you may
not want to consider overstressing it.  If it doesn't move upward then see
if you can get to 1 or 2 degrees of bearing in that section.  Test your
sustain measurements before and after.

Before I did that, however, another thing to consider is whether the
humidity levels are adequate to support the crown in that section.  This
time of year things can be drying out considerably depending on where you
are and crown, bearing and sustain can all but disappear if the humidity
readings are getting down around 10% or lower.  With a compression style
board the EMC levels are important in maintaining the crown.   If the
humidity levels are low consider installing a full DC system (not a bad idea
anyway) and consider using a humidistat that keeps the level upwards of 50%
rather than the standard 42%.

If all of that fails then see if Steinway considers  6 seconds of sustain a
warranty issue (if you're inside the 5 year mark).  Only then should you
consider doing things which will void the warranty like riblets which need
to be glued in place to work.   Adding mass and/or belly bracing is less
permanent but may not be that effective if the board has crashed or if there
was never adequate crown to begin with, a likely possibility.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com