[CAUT] S S model M

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 6 06:05:19 MST 2009

I'm on a different track here... and would recommend looking into adding
a rib extender.  If your brace work allows, fashion a 3-4 mm thick rib
of appropriate length to attach under existing ribs in the affected
area. Lower string tension, jack up the soundboard just under the bridge
a couple mm and glue on the rib extenders.

You add both stiffness, the added mass of the extenders (this is not
much mass in the end) and added crown support.  It creates a kind of
localized retrofit RC&S effect to whatever rib you add it too.

Got the idea from Ron Overs a couple years back.

Cheers
RicB

    Gentlefolk,

    Can y'all provide thoughts and/orsuggestions to improve the sustain
    on a S&S model M in octaves 5 & 6  .

    Yes, strings level, hammers properly filed and voiced, reg. accurate.

    I believe some of you in the past have refered to this as the
    "killer octave".

    Keep in mind, this is a model M 5 yrs old and request is for sustain
    to carry beyond 6 seconds

    Thanks in advance

    Gerry C.

    WCUPA