[CAUT] historic temp thoughts

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 4 13:03:02 MST 2009

It seems to me that the discussion between Israel and Fred demonstrates VERY CLEARLY what I have said before: there is much more to offering the service of tuning non-equal temperaments than just learning a few temperaments and having them in your toolbox. It's much too big a can of worms to expect every competent piano technician to learn it, and still have time to earn a living. It's the "biting off more than one can chew" concept. Literally a bottomless pit of knowledge would be required.

I'll leave that subject to those of you who after 8 or 10 hours of piano work a day, you still can't get enough of it. You'd rather go to the library and dig a while than spend quality time with the family or do SOMETHING besides work.

Yes, that is a generalization, and the intention isn't to criticize personal choices, but its the only way I can see you guys have the ability to pursue all that you do. Then, you have time to volunteer for the PTG, etc., etc.? When? Seriously. When do you have time to do all this?

With ALL due respect and no offense intended.
Jeff Tanner