[CAUT] historic temp thoughts

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 1 12:44:56 MST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Israel Stein wrote:

> Monteverdi actually scored for two separate and distinct halves of
> the orchestra - one with fretted instruments (archlutes, theorbos
> and such) playing plucked continuo along with a harpsichord and an
> organ, with viols (fretted) in the string section and lots of lutes
> and guitars. This half of the orchestra - including the keyboards -
> was tuned in equal temperament. The other half of the orchestra used
> harp as the plucked continuo instrument - along with its own organ
> and harpsichord - and the violin family comprised the string
> section. This part of the orchestra was tuned in meantone. The two
> never play together - for obvious reasons.

	This statement didn't ring true to me, so I went to the library and
browsed a bit. And I found a very different story. The score to Orfeo
calls for an interesting array of instruments, including an large
contingent of various continuo instruments, from harpsichord and organ
to both fretted and unfretted, plucked and bowed string instruments.
The instruments are listed on the title page (the edition I consulted
had an actual facsimile) in a disordered way, with no grouping of
instruments. In the score, in various places, there is an indication
of the instrumentation for that particular section. The lists of
instrumentation tend to distinguish between strings and winds, each
with a continuo contingent. In each case the continuo contingent is
mixed, with plucked/fretted alongside harpsichord, playing under winds
or under bowed strings. He specifies, sometimes, where the ensemble
should be placed (left of stage, right of stage, on stage, etc.)
	I also consulted a couple books, including one dedicated entirely to
Orfeo. It is clear that there are many decisions to be made by anyone
putting on this opera. For instance, instrumentation is not specified
for many of the numbers. But there is no indication whatsoever that
there were two separate halves of orchestra, one tuned to ET and one
to MT. Nor that the instrumentation was grouped as described above.
	So I suggest, Israel, that your memory of this event is probably
faulty - not surprising, since the event you refer to took place 16
years ago. In any case, I think the notion that
"there is plentiful evidence that when it came to tuning, at least in
Italy, keyboards yielded to frets rather than the other way around"
is a pretty big stretch. The burden of proof is squarely on you, to
come up with and present any such plentiful evidence. Perhaps there is
some. For my part, I have never heard of any.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu