[CAUT] practicing on concert instruments

Martin Snow martinsnowpianos at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 17:38:50 MST 2009

What I initiated 24 years ago when I started as head tech. at Boston University, was to block out in the Master Schedule for the Concert Hall [our main student recital performance venue]  from 7.30-9.30 am Monday through Friday for ''pianoshop''. This is our time, no dress rehearsals, no nothing. We actually share this  time  block with stage crew, in case they need to   fix risers, change bulbs , get set ups organized for the day. Our ''fleet'' of concert grands which are housed in an ante room with double wide door entry to the stage consists of an American  'D' from the late 1970's,  a Hamburg 'D' same vintage, another Hamburg 'D' from 1987 and a Baldwin SD10 from 1984, AND a Kawai KG2 that is the only permitted instrument for non-traditional piano usage ie. prepared piano. Also in this room are 2 of the harpsichords.  Occasionally we do give up this reserved time for special occasions, or when there is absolutely no time left for dr. reh's. It has
 helped enormously in setting these guidelines to more effectively maintain the concert pianos. The students can schedule a two hour dr. reh. in the Concert Hall prior to their recital.
Another smaller recital room we  have reserved for one two hour block at the same time every week. The  8 classrooms around the building,  that are used for ear training, ensembles, and  general usage we have reserved  also on a weekly basis. I generally do this right at the very start of the semester,  actually over the summer before anything is booked. Again we don't always need all this time every week, but it's there.