[CAUT] Sperrhake Harpsichord wire

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 3 18:03:15 MST 2009

Hi list,

I'm having some trouble installing replacement strings on a Sperrhake harpsichord. The wires that came out were .009". I tried a number of things (different size wires, making sure the angle to the nut was good), but the wire always broke when it got close to pitch. A friend suggested I was using the wrong type of wire, so when I got home, I checked out the Instrument Workshop website. It seems I probably am using the wrong type of wire, since my supply is from my Zuckermann service kit. I have sent an email to the Instrument Workshop, but was wondering if any of you would know the scale of the instrument. The notes are d4 & d#4 (piano-speak) on the 4', but it would be handy to have the whole scale--4' & 8'. (On the web I found someone in Australia selling copies of a Sperrhake owners manual, but I'm not sure it's for this model.)

I'd also be happy to know if you know what type of wire I should be using.

Well, one thing for sure, I got a lot of practice making tails and winding the strings on the tuning pins today!

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois