[CAUT] Practicing on concert instruments...again...

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Dec 3 16:16:31 MST 2009

Wim,

I bet if the piano was “out” on the next concerto, he’d just blame us. Although he’s a nice enough guy, when it comes down to it, he wouldn’t abide ANY instrument being out of tune in one of his concerts. Maybe we should see… hmmmmmm. Next week is a visiting artist doing Brahms. Maybe I’ll tell him “Sorry we don’t have time to tune the piano.” <G>  Ya think?

Best,
Jim

I didn’t put this in my post but he (the director) said (when told we couldn’t keep it in tune as we do now if he did this) “It may just have to be out of tune for a concert, and we’ll just have to live with that”.
I can't believe an educated professional musician would make a statement like that. Would he practice, much less play a concert, with his violin out of tune?

Wim