[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 28 07:57:50 PDT 2009

	Well, this board has a bit of crown, not flat or negative like most I
have (Next to nil is a lot here in NM: there is actually a bit of
shadow cast by the string I stretch). Current conditions, bearing is
flat to negative, with a wee bit of positive in the very top treble.
So my take is I should bring the string plane down to meet the bridge,
just measurably positive bearing most places, a bit more high treble,
probably trying for a bit less than the Baldwin specs (work done with
the piano at the low end of RH). This is where the piano will be most
of its life (these RH parameters). And I'll see what I see.
	Expectations? Hey, I just want the darned strings to render so I can
tune it. Anything else is gravy, and a bit of experience. But, in any
case, I threw some of this out as a counter to the notion of measuring
how high the strings are on the accujust pins right now and using that
as if it told you something useful. What does that measurement tell
you? Nothing in and of itself, unless you have at least measured
bearing, and then it's loaded bearing.
	Of course, if I have negative loaded bearing, I'm not sure where that
puts me. I'll see what crown I have once the strings are off. In any
case, I will match the strings to where the board is, rather than
duplicate the current negative bearing. Which is what I often end up
doing with restrings on non-accujust pianos (a matter of practicality,
resources available).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico