[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 08:23:47 PDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     Of course, if I have negative loaded bearing, I'm not sure where
> that puts me.

With a somewhere less than ideal board, I'd say.

>I'll see what crown I have once the strings are off.

The only crown measurements that will tell you anything useful
are those under bearing load. Bearing measurements and crown
under load together are an indication of what the board is
capable of supporting. Unloaded crown tells you nothing
useful. I've seen many a board that showed crown with the
strings off, that became concave when pulled from the piano.

>In
> any case, I will match the strings to where the board is, rather than
> duplicate the current negative bearing. Which is what I often end up
> doing with restrings on non-accujust pianos (a matter of practicality,
> resources available).

As I said. Faced with an impossible situation, you do what you
can.
Ron N